I shot this little darling a little while ago, but I had a few shots in mind that I wasn’t able to get previously due to the windy conditions. But it was very still last night, so out I went, with two tripods (camera + flash) a remote trigger and a few pieces of poster cardboard.
And then for something completely different, repeated the process with a piece of red card. Not really natural, but a pretty spectacular shot I think. 60D + 100mm Macro + 430EXII.
The shot I’d been planning. I set up the 430EXII beside the spider facing away from the camera, then triggered the camera remotely whilst holding up a piece of green poster board card behind the spider. Worked exactly as planned. 60D + 100mm Macro + 430EXII.
Anyway, as I was setting up to shoot the same shot with purple cardboard, I bumped the branch her web was attached to and she freaked out. So, I decided to just do some natural shots with her.
At first she just sat like this, so I moved the flash to the right and behind her from where the camera was.
Then moved the camera a bit closer.
After the last shot I again made the mistake of bumping the web, and so she made a mad dash for the other side of her web (which is attached to the powerline running to our house) so the rest of these shots were taken the few times she stopped for a second during that dash.
A nice side profile shot.
And as she got further and further up the support line, I was standing pretty much directly underneath her. Which made me a little apprehensive, since these can drop of their webs if they get startled.
After that she was out of range for good shots, so I packed up and headed inside. Would’ve had these uploaded last night, but I decided to try and fix an ongoing error with Stacey’s website. It is an identical install of WordPress to this on, on the same hosting company, and yet there’s always errors when she tried to upload photos. Suffice to say, I’m still trying to work that one out…